Assessment of a carbon credit transfer project
- Interim management
For an agricultural and forestry cooperative
We were approached by a Congolese agricultural cooperative wishing to be accompanied by a third party for the assessment of a certification project and emission of carbon credits type VER (Voluntary Emission Reduction).
The Kyoto Protocol established a carbon offset mechanism between industrialized and developing countries. This mechanism allows the ecological, social and environmental benefits of a project in a developing country to be recognized in return for the sale of carbon credits to a company in an industrialized country. The latter will take advantage of these carbon credits to improve its carbon neutrality objective.
Our client, an agricultural and forestry operator, has as its main project the conservation of the primary forest and the reconstitution of the secondary forest in Congo Brazzaville over an area of 10,000 hectares. The company needed an independent third party to accompany it through the tedious process of certification and carbon crediting.
The purpose of our work is to help our client assess the reliability of the information communicated in the context of the process of transferring the carbon credits produced.
We have thus focused our work on :
- the presentation of the business model to the various groups expressing an interest in offset projects;
- the presentation of the project and the different components with High Environmental Values;
- analysis of the needs in terms of volume of the groups showing interest in our client’s project
- review of the financial proposals made by groups expressing an interest in the project
- analysis of the pre-financing package (Future Delivery Agreement) up to the issue of the VERs
- the review of the Emissions Reduction Purchase Agreement (ERPA)
☝️ Looking for an independent third party to assess the administrative, legal and financial issues of a project, this is the place!